Kootenai Electric Cooperative (KEC) is closely monitoring COVID-19 and its impact to our region. The safety of our employees, members and community remains our highest priority. KEC has implemented a mitigation plan aimed at reducing the spread of illness while ensuring our ability to continue providing exceptional member service, including:
- A change to public office hours: effective March 16, 2020 through June 30, 2020 the KEC office will be open to the public Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and closed on Fridays.
- Eliminating non-essential business travel for employees.
- KEC employees who have reasonable assurance they have been in close proximity to someone who has developed flu-like symptoms will remain at home.
- Employees and the public visiting our office are encouraged to liberally use hand sanitizer which is readily available at KEC's office.
- Additional emphasis on the disinfection of common surfaces such as table surfaces, countertops, door pulls and handrails.
- State law and our bylaws require we conduct an annual meeting in-person and have a quorum of at least 150 active members present. We are developing a plan which limits the scope of this to essential business only and ensures those attending can maintain appropriate and safe social distancing. Members will receive further information in the mail later this month.
- Should circumstances warrant, our mitigation plan may be broadened to include suspending in-person service by temporarily closing our lobby, eliminating all in-person company meetings, directing employees able to work from home to do so and any other safety precautions we feel may be necessary.
We strongly encourage members to make payments online or through the SmartHub app, by phone, mail or using the drop box in front of our building. Members are also encouraged to contact us during business hours via phone or email with any questions. Recognizing that we may be forced to close our lobby to the public in the days ahead, we encourage members who pay their bill in-person to explore other payment alternatives now. If this is you, please call our office at 208.765.1200 for assistance or more information on how to do this.
The spread of the COVID-19 virus is a dynamic and rapidly evolving situation, as is our response plan. What makes sense today may need to further evolve as more is learned. Our mitigation plan is intended to maintain the health and safety of our employees and the community and to ensure that critical operations continue without interruption. Thank you for your patience, understanding and support. Stay healthy.
KEC General Manager/CEO